Program summaries should include information you have learned about a program, for example:
impressions of the PD, APDs, other faculty/attendings
impressions of the residents
culture of the program, pressure on residents to read quickly
exposure to procedures, how do readouts work, moonlighting available etc.
hospital characteristics: size, trauma, pediatric exposure, community/academic/mixed etc.
types/number of spots available, ESIR available
Washington - Seattle
Virginia Mason Medical Center Program
1. The residents seem very happy.
2. ESIR available, more spots than are usually interested (2 spots each year for a class of 3).
3. Monthly meal voucher ($250 or so)
4. TY program same day, they are categorical.
5. All insurance paid for by institution.
6. Lots of time to go to conferences (on top of vacation), the fund and highly support research, and encourage residents to be involved in the local and national conferences.
7. They have double lectures, some by their faculty and some at UW. 100% board pass rate even last year. Residents seem very well prepared.
8. No fellows = no competition for studies/procedures
9. If you are on weekend call (Saturday+Sunday night) you get the following Friday off = 3-day weekend